Tips for Having a Successful Long Distance Relationship
Dating can be tough. But what happens when you add a little distance to the equation? In some cases that might be long distance Atlanta dating with one person living on the south side of Atlanta (maybe Newnan) and one living on the North side (maybe Alpharetta). Or maybe one lives in Birmingham, AL and the other here in Atlanta.
How does distance affect your Atlanta dating alternatives? It probably depends upon the person and how important the potential relationship is. Here are some tips to help you if you are in a long distance relationship:
- The most important and respectful thing that anyone in a long distance relationship can do is to be up front about any expectations. It's absolutely impossible to sustain a healthy long distance relationship without knowledge of what you expect in the end. Whether it's thoughts of marriage, or eventual parting, make sure you and your partner see eye to eye on any expectations.
- Be flexible! If you're an adult in the 21st Century, you're probably busier than even you'd like to admit, so if you find yourself getting a little frustrated with your distant lover's schedule, sit back and take into consideration that sometimes schedules won't line up, and it's all a part of the commitment you're making. Remember, compromise will get you further than resistance!
- Open communication is key in maintaining a healthy comfort level while you're apart. Without it, you will both be subject to making assumptions about how each other is feeling, and let's face it, those actions will probably lead you down a rocky path! Long distance relationships are sometimes considered a tighter, more in-tune relationship because of the constant need for nurture and communication. So, don't be afraid to express what you're thinking or how you're feeling; chances are your significant other probably feels the same!
- Being in a long distance relationship takes a lot of commitment from both of you, so make sure you take the time to reaffirm your commitment ! When you're confined to communication via telephone, computer, or snail mail, the physical aspect of body language and facial emotions are lacking, therefore making things more susceptible to speculation. If you affirm the understanding of how much of a commitment it is (for BOTH of you!), and how much you care about the person you're in the relationship with, it'll make them more comfortable, and in turn do the same for you.
- Forget about the moping! I know it can feel pretty lonely and sad not knowing when the next time you're going to see your special someone will be, but sitting around depressed will lead to overanalyzing why you're feeling this way, and eventually blame could be placed wrongly, and an argument could ensue. Make sure you surround yourself with friends and family, and don't make every waking moment dedicated to your relationship½you'll only end up driving yourself bonkers, and losing what you love!
- Remember the old saying "Absence makes the heart grow fonder". Not being in close proximity may at first limit the amount of time you will be able to spend together. With the right attitude this will build a certain amount of excitement for the couple. Looking forward to seeing each other keeps things fresh longer and increases the intensity of the dates. My advice is to focus on the time spent together instead of the the time not spent together.
With every relationship you have an opportunity for personal growth. We often tell our clients when meeting someone new, embrace this as a chance to try something new and go to places you've never been before. If you happen to hit if off with someone who lives a bit of distance from you, have fun exploring a new part of town. Research the local restaurants, attractions and community events. This sense of adventure will bring a lot of fun to a new relationship.
Maybe your perfect match isn't already living in your neighborhood, shopping at the same grocery store and eating in your favorite restaurants. Don't fret. With the largest member database in Atlanta and the Southeast we can help you make a connection beyond where you live, shop, work and play.
Single Atlanta is the most trusted Atlanta matchmaker. Our process is safe, fun, and easy. We make personal hand-selected matches with people who share common interests, core values and life goals. If you are ready to start your adventure, Call Us at (404) 250-9292 or fill out ourFast Form below to learn more and Be Our Next Match!